Wednesday, October 14, 2015

6 Things Students Studying Abroad for Another Language Need to Know!

These past few weeks I have been so focused on my speaking and working on improving my grammar when I speak. I decided to write down a list of advice and things to know for anyone that is looking to study abroad in a different language. To live somewhere where it is not your first language is difficult! While living in Spain has been the most stressful time of my life, I think it is probably the greatest time of my life that I have ever experienced.  

1. If you come from an English speaking country, your Spanish will probably be the worst out of all the international students, especially if you're American. That's okay!

      English is pretty damn close to being the universal language of the world. I've come to know that countries like Ireland, Great Britain, and of course USA don't really feel the need to have intense language lessons like they do in Germany or Belgium. I've met so many other students that know about 3 different languages here in Spain that I have felt inferior in my intelligence but then I realized it doesn't mean you are any less smart if you only know English! It also doesn't mean your country is stupid-it's just the way your culture is! I do hope we eventually push for more foreign languages in schools but right now an average Spanish class in an American high school has the same mindset of that Algebra II/Trig class your school makes you take. Students believe there is no use for either subject outside of school and in some ways they are right especially in my small town in Northern New York. (You could argue and say there is another language in my town called Canadian with the border close by but that's still English.). Remember, when you go back fluent in another language like Spanish to the USA or Great Britain, you'll probably know more languages than most people in your country!  

2.  Depending on how you look, most locals at stores, restaurants, or other places will automatically speak English to you. 

Having blue eyes and blonde hair, I don't exactly blend in with the beautiful dark hair and dark eyes Spaniards here. Oh and when you hear me speak Spanish with my not-so-lovely American accent I might as well have a tattoo on my forehead that says "Attempting to study Spanish". At first I was completely comfortable with speaking English here. It's awesome to understand and be understood while trying to buy that bottle of wine! But then I remembered I am here to improve my Spanish and if I don't try every second of every day to speak Spanish I will not reach my goal. Usually when someone speaks English to me I keep speaking Spanish. They might laugh or be surprised but they will understand you trust me! Keep trying!! 

3. Your first few weeks of classes, you'll probably understand close to nothing what the professors are saying. 

They all speak a million miles per hour. Or at least it feels like. Do not worry! Stay calm, have your mom text you a message of encouragement every morning like mine did and you'll get there! I still am not completely there with my second month here but I understand the notes, powerpoints, and my classmates a lot better! Just by listening you are improving. The professors are usually kind and won't call on you for questions because they hate to slow class down or put you in the spot. It's hard to catch the homework or projects due so don't be afraid to snag one of your classmates numbers and text them to ask what the work was! They understand that it's difficult for you! Everyone does! 

4. Careful not to get too comfortable with those that know English.

This kind of goes back to #2. You are here to improve in your language overall! Speaking is by no doubt the hardest element to master but you have to try! One of my professors in my college in New York once said "You have to be like a little kid and not care how you speak, Let yourself mess up!". You have to let go of your pride and just let all that horrible grammar come rolling off your tongue! Unfortunately because you are an English speaker, the other international students will want to practice their English with you. That's all fine and dandy but that isn't going to further improve your skills. Force yourself to speak Spanish no matter how slow or horrible you sound!

5. Get to know the locals! They'll help you better your Spanish the most!!!

I have so many friends with other international students here in Valencia. But I do love speaking with the locals because not only do your skills increase faster, but it's a huge confidence booster too! When they understand me and say my grammar is correct it might as well be someone telling me I just won a million dollars. It's the greatest feeling in the world to know from the locals that your Spanish is improving. They will correct you and force you to speak in their language. You also get used to listening to their accents on how to pronounce certain words or to simple understand the way they speak better! I am so lucky to have this one Sociology class with this amazing group of locals who have no idea how much they have made me feel more at home and more at ease with my Spanish. ¡Muchas graciás guapos! 

6. "Poco a Poco". Remember to breathe and enjoy your adventure!

So what if you accidently said the wrong word to mess up the whole sentence, or accidently order two Pumpkin spice lattes at the Starbucks near your internship (I thoroughly enjoyed them both because I was so happy to know Spain had my favorite drink of the Fall season). It will all ease into place! Maybe not as fast as you hope it will, but it will!! 
My dad said the best advice to me when I almost broke down crying about how worried I was with my Spanish before I left my home. 
"People have done this before you and people will do it after you."
You are not alone and have so much support while you here. You can do this!!! 

Here is a lovely picture of my classmates and I enjoying the nightly fiestas!

No comments:

Post a Comment