Thursday, September 3, 2015

The First Day of School!

Today wasn't exactly the first day, but it was welcome day for international students at Catholic University of Valencia! We woke up early and our host mom, Rosa made us toast and then we were off! We have two bus routes we have to take in order to get to one of the several college campuses. It's crazy that I go to college that is big enough to have several different campuses! We were so nervous when we first arrived but then the vice president we had met before at Nazareth College recognized us and lead us to the correct presentation. During his speech he even gave Nazareth College a shout out by saying "Welcome Nazareth College students!" It's pretty funny that there are only two of us from NAZ and several different faculties came up to us so excited to have us. When they pulled all the Americans aside, the vice president wanted us to stay. I think we are special Americans! THe presentation was all in English since that is like the universal language in our world. I kind of wish I didn't grow up with English as my first language so I could of lived in a country that encouraged students to master several languages instead of just being satisfied with knowing the most popular language. After the presentation I met with my "buddy" Fátima and her friends. UCV has a buddy program that I highly recommend any international student enroll in if going to UCV. She has been an amazing friend and very helpful in transitioning from being away from home. She and I have grown very close these past few days. I am still adjusting to everyone kissing my cheeks! If I had a dollar for every greeting kiss I got, I probably could have paid off my student loan! All her friends think my accent is so cute and adorable which is quite strange. They don't get a lot of Americans at this university so when they get to speak to one, it's amazing to them!  We went to a small castle and wandered around the center of Valencia. I keep falling in love with the city more and more everyday. We then ate at an Italian restaurant and there for "La comida" and there you can ate a 2-course meal and dessert for under 12 euros! I just stuck with spaghetti since I really needed a familiar food after being overloaded with information! After we talked and walked some more and then I rode the bus back by myself for the first time. I was so proud of myself for not getting lost that I went to my favorite bakery and bought 2 empenados with onion in them. Everything at that bakery is freshly made and is usually under 2 euros. Then for dinner Alicia and I went with our two roommates, Lena and Rayni to dinner. Today was a pretty exciting day and a perfect end! Here is a picture of my new friends from UCV in the castle today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment